The Trojan Times

The Student News Site of Paradise Valley High School

The Trojan Times

The Trojan Times

Maintaining Your Health

It is simple to maintain your health if you have healthy habits
Marley Owen
Colton Sweet spotting Tye Autry

The most difficult part of being healthy is staying healthy. An individual’s health will be determined by their habits. One’s habits must not include excess, as excess of nearly anything can be detrimental to your health. In order to stay healthy, only eat what you need and no more. In Okinawa, Japan, a place where people live exceptionally long, there is a saying to eat only until you are 80% full. If you perform this habitually, it leads to better heart health, weight loss, and can even increase one’s lifespan. However, you could be eating this way and still gain weight if you are eating particularly calorie dense foods. It is important to know and track how many calories you eat, or at least know a general amount of calories that you have eaten. It can be easy to eat an excessive amount of calories, but it is also easy to eat less while still feeling full.

Left to right:
Tye Autry, Nathan Burke, Colton Sweet, Porter Robb (Marley Owen)

The key to eating less while feeling full is high volume low calorie foods, such as fruits and vegetables, popcorn, greek yogurt, or cottage cheese. Fruits, vegetables, and popcorn contain fiber which is very low in calories when your body can digest it. Fiber is typically indigestible, which causes you to feel full while taking in 0 calories out of that fiber. Eating habits are not the only habits that ruin your health, however. It is important to enjoy working out and cardio so that you can remain your optimal self. Cardio is great for heart and lung health and should not be forgotten. Cardio used to be a natural part of everyday life, and in the modern day most people make no time for it at all. Heart disease is one of the most common causes of death, and is easily preventable if you don’t fall into a modern lifestyle of ease and convenience.