The Trojan Times

The Student News Site of Paradise Valley High School

The Trojan Times

The Trojan Times

PVHS Student vs. Faculty Basketball Game

Kim Lopez
Coach Delaney shooting a 3-pointer

PVHS recently had a basketball student vs. teacher game that was a very exciting event. PVHS has a tradition of having a competition against the teachers and the varsity players, and they host a basketball game every year to see who’s better. In the past few years, the teachers have dominated the court, and this year they did not disappoint. PVHS staff smoked the students in the first half, coming on top within halftime. While the students were playing hard, the teachers’

defense proved to be too much and overwhelmed them quickly. But don’t make the mistake of underestimating the student. From the start of the second half, the students went out like a fire was lit up. Students continuously scored without having the teacher’s score for a full five minutes. But, alas, it wasn’t enough. The teachers ended the game by putting the students out of their misery with a comfortable victory of 45-34. At halftime, many people had

the opportunity to shoot a half court for prizes. Some generous donations gave everyone one shot, and after that, each shot was one dollar. Shots went off, and prizes actually started to dwindle down. Many people had impressive shots and did it on their first try. I even tried it but sadly missed with a rim touch. It’s still one of the most exciting high school games

I’ve been to. There was a lot of smack talk, but ultimately, the teachers got it done.

How do you feel about you performance in the game?

Ryan Leighty (11): “The game was alright though the teachers schooled us. (haha get it?). Our team was really bad but I believe I did good. Unfortunately we lost but we should win next year.”

Eric Gray (12): To be honest I didn’t get to play that much but I feel like I did good. I did miss a shot but made a layup so that should make up for it, at least in my eyes.

What can you and your team do better for next years game?

Ryan Leighty (11): Well we can all play better defense. And get better shots up. We shot the ball a lot but nobody was hittin’ threes. So I guess we need to work on our shooting. Also we were making stupid passes giving the teachers easy layups so much work on our passing.

Eric Gray (12): Honestly we just need better defense. Once we have the defense down we should blow the teachers out.  Other than that we had a terrible first half but we came back around so it was a good game.

So all in all, the students know how to improve, and they are excited about next year’s game. Maybe next year the teachers will finally be defeated, or maybe they will win again. Who knows? All I know is that if I play, the teachers have no chance. So go to the game next year to see the results. For now, the teachers have the belt, but we are coming to take it back next year.