The Trojan Times

The Student News Site of Paradise Valley High School

The Trojan Times

The Trojan Times

Work and School Balance

Balance important for success

Most high school students have a balance of having a part-time or even in some cases a full-time job while also going to school and getting good grades. Creating this balance is a struggle that most students can’t and have to sacrifice either their grades or their mental health or both. On average high school students will work 4-6 hours on a weekday and up to 8 hours a day on the weekend. In total, the average hours for a part-time working student is about 20-25 hours a week, for a full-time working student it is up to 40 hours a week. On top of working the students at PVHS go to school for about 7 hours and for seniors it’s about 4 and a half hours, plus any homework they need to complete that night which varies per class. In one day with school and work a student is gone on average about 13 hours and then they get home and have to complete schoolwork which is at least 1-2 hours so after all that they have no room for anything else and after doing that for a few days they get tired and start to give up. 

Some ways to be able to balance work and school are:

Set days to work and not over work yourself 

• Having certain days to work can be a great way to know your schedule ahead of time and be able to plan accordingly and to not have the possibility of over working yourself. 

Create ways to remember what school work needs to be done

• Having a calendar or a planner can be a great way to stay on top of your work and not forget what needs to be done.

Set days to relax and spend time doing something you enjoy to relief stress

• Having days to relax and decompress can be helpful to mental health and be able to do things you enjoy so your life doesnt become just work and school.